Hickory Creek Winery is a small production winery featuring classic, refined European style wines made from locally grown grapes. We expertly craft every bottle of wine to highlight our terroir’s distinct characteristics, and to provide a beautiful complement to your meal.
All of our wines are hand-crafted from vine to label.
- Our fruit is selected and harvested based on flavors; not numbers.
- All small lot fermentation.
- We age our wines in French oak barrels and steel tanks.
- Individual lots are kept separate until final blending.
- 100% Lake Michigan Shore AVA
- Current offerings in our tasting room include: Dry and Semi-Dry Riesling, Pinot Gris, Grüner Veltliner, Chardonnay and Zero Oak Chardonnay, Gentil (Riesling blend), Rosé (Dry and Semi-Dry), Pinot Noir, Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mélange (Bordeaux style blend), Semi-Dry Rouge Doux and Vidal Blanc Ice Wine.
LATEST NEWSSeptember 19, 2014
We are now embarking on our 3rd harvest as owners of Hickory Creek – and this one’s distinctly unique. In fact, every harvest has been a roller coaster reflecting the past seasons’ unusual weather events.
While the polar vortex that hit us last winter seems like a bad nightmare we’d like to forget, the vinifera in our AVA have been unable to overcome the effects of the sustained cold. We are not alone in this. Fruit was affected from Michigan to NY’s Finger Lake region and beyond. Many vineyards produced little, if any, fruit. We are still awaiting full ripening of the minimal grapes to be harvested – hopefully Chardonnay and Riesling – from vineyards just up the road. With the cool, rainy summer, it’s taking a good long time for the grapes to sweeten.
But, we are fortunate. As mentioned, it has been a roller coaster, and the last 2 harvests produced an overabundance of wine (if there can be such a thing)! We have a nice cushion to keep us busy and our production area will be pretty well maxed out after the 2014 harvest. Glad we rolled the dice and took in as much fruit as we could those 2 previous harvests.
Come visit us this most glorious time of year! There’s usually a fire going in the firepit, and we’ve got blankets to wrap yourselves in while you enjoy a glass of wine under our apple tree. We’ve also got many new releases being served in our tasting room. We are particularly proud of our award winning 2012 Syrah and 2009 Cabernet Franc which truly reflect our AVA’s remarkable fruit.
Cheers to our wonderful customers and thank you for your enthusiasm and support of Hickory Creek Winery!